Windows 7 is a GUI operating system software which provides graphical environment to work on computer. if you want to modify the working environment, Windows provide you various options to adjust it as per your needs. this chapter covers many such aspects of windows 7 which will help you to personalize your working environment in your computer.
Windows 7 is an Operating System software which tells the computer, what and how to do as it takes your instructions and passes them to the computer to get your work done by it. You can give instructions to the computer through different options. You can open programs by using small pictures called Icons. As everything on it is represented graphically in the forms of pictures or menus, that’s why it is called Graphical User Interface (GUI).
Components of Windows 7
The different components of windows, which help us to interact with computer are:
This is the first screen which appears when the Windows 7 is loaded in the computer’s memory.
Add to your Knowledge
Operating System acts as the manager in the computer system.
Small graphical representations of various files/folders programs or applications are known as Icons. These icons help to quickly open the files/ folders or programs by double clicking on them.
Shortcut is a link to any item on the computer such as a program, file, folder or printer at any location in the computer.We just have to click the shortcut and the associated item opens up. Shortcuts are displayed as icons on the screen. They make our work easy and save our time.
It helps to manage the various currently active programs opened in different windows. we can switch between these programs by clicking their buttons on the taskbar.
It is known as the gateway to windows and its programs. We can work with any of the windows applications or perform any kind of settings by using its different options.
It is divided into two panes-left pane and right pane. The left pane is used to access programs or to search files/ folders in the computer and the right pane gives access to some common folders like Documents, pictures, music etc.
Windows 7 provides a new feature called Aero peek through which you can instantly minimize your entire screen to view the desktop.
Place your mouse pointer on the Show Desktop button on right comer of the taskbar.
All the window become transparent. You can see the desktop.
Click on the Show Desktop button to view the desktop. Each window minimizes on the taskbar.
If you want to see the windows again, click again on Show Desktop button.
Date and Time
On the right side of the taskbar in the notification area, current date and time is displayed and when the mouse pointer is placed on it, Day and Date are also displayed. Even if the computer is switched off, your computer keeps date and time updated automatically with the help of a small battery inside.
- Single click date and time in the notification area to open calendar and clock.
- Click change date and time settings in it to open Date and Time dialog box.
- Click change date and time button in it.
- Modify the calendar setting as needed to select the correct date and time.
To update time:
- Click on hours, minutes or seconds whatever has to be changed.
- Use up/down buttons to change their values.
- With the change in the time in digital clock, analog clock is automatically updated.
- Close the date and time dialog box by clicking OK button as the notification area will start showing the current time and date.
Children, you can also change the Desktop screen of your Windows to give it a look the way you want it to be. Background is the picture or graphics which appears on the desktop behind the icons.To change this background picture, follow these steps:
- Place the mouse pointer anywhere on the desktop and click right mouse button to open a shortcut menu.
- Click the personalize option in the menu.
- Click on Desktop Background option from the personalization window.
- From the picture Location list select the category from where you want to choose the picture or click Browse to locate the picture on your computer.
- Now double click the picture to make it your desktop background.
You can also set your paint drawing as background on the Desktop. It will give more personalized look to your windows desktop.
To do so:
- Open microsoft paint and create a drawing of your choice.
- Click the paint( ) button and select the option Set As desktop background. choose the option Fill, Tile or center.
- It will ask you to save the file, if it is not saved.
- Save the drawing and close paint to see your drawing on the Desktop screen.
When the computer is remains switched ON for a specified time without any use, a moving pattern or animation appears on the screen.This pattern or animation is called Screensaver.
As soon as you move the mouse or press any key from the keyboard, it disappears by itself. It helps to save your monitor screen from damage and to increase its life.
To set or change the Screen Save:
- Click on Appearance and Personalization option in the Control panel and click Screen Saver option under the personalization category.
- The Screen Saver Setting dialog box will appear.
- In The ScreenSaver list select the screensaver you want to use. Clicks Preview button to see how it will appear on the screen.
- Change the Wait Timings as needed.
- Click Ok button.
To Change the color used for window’s as frame, Start Menu or the Taskbar and to add the transparent glass effect.
- Open the personalization window using Appearance and Personalization option in the Control Panel and choose window color option in it open Window Color and Appearance Window.
- Click an Enable Transparency if you want the transparent effect in the title bar, taskbar and other elements. Drag the slider to adjust the color intensity and note the changes in window borders.
- Choose a suitable color from the 16 standard colors offered by windows. You can also use the Show color mixer option in the window to change the Hue, Saturation and Brightness of the selected color.
- Click Save Changes button to apply the settings.
Gadgets are the mini tools provided by windows 7 which can be kept on the desktop to get quick access to the information like CPU speed, weather forecast, date, time, newsheadlines, ect. These are the optional tools which be or removed as or when needed.
To add a Gadget:
- Right click on the desktop and choose Gadgets option in the shortcut menu to open Gadgets gallery.
- Double click the gadget to be added or right click Gadget and choose Add option in the shortcut menu. The Gadget will appear on the right side of the desktop.
- Click the Close(X) button on the Gadgets gallery when finished.
If you do not want the Gadget to appear any more on the desktop, you can remove it as follows:
- Move the mouse pointer over the Gadget on the desktop. The gadget controls appear.
- Click on the Close (X) button. The Gadget will disappear from the screen.
- Alternatively, you can right click on the Gadget and choose Gadget option in the shortcut menu.
Think and Answer
What are Gadgets? Name any two gadgets you see at home.
- Windows 7 is a Graphical User Interface(GUI) operating system.
- Desktop, Icons, Taskbar, Start button, ect. are the components of windows.
- Start button is known as the launch pad to Windows.
- Show Desktop Aero peek button is used to instantly minimize all the open windows to view the desktop.
- Date and Time can be adjusted by double clicking clock in the Taskbar.
- Personalization Window can be opened by right clicking on the desktop.
- Screen save is a moving picture which helps to save our monitor screen from damage.
- Desktop background, Screensaver, WIndows Appearance can be changed using Appearance and Personalization option in the Control Panel.
- Gadgets are the mini tools which can be kept on the desktop to get quick acess to the info the desktop to get quick access to the information line, date, time weather forecast, etc.
Show the children various components of Windows 7 on the computer and demonstrate how to set date and time, use of Appearance and Personalization option to change background, screensaver and appearance of window.